The FosterClub AllStar Internship was founded on the belief that young people who have lived experience in foster care are the best positioned to impact their peers in foster care, and to become change agents to improve the foster care system. AllStars are recognized as leaders on a national scale, and their stories continue to affect policy and practice, significantly improving the lives of youth still in care.
FosterClub's AllStar internship is a service and training opportunity for young people with lived experience in the foster care system. AllStars learn to amplify perspectives of themselves and other young people in foster care through advocacy and activism to motivate their peers and use their own lived experience to affect systemic change.
The AllStar internship is a hybrid 6-week professional and personal development program that includes 2 weeks of in-person service training in Oregon.
Interns receive leadership training, help improve outcomes for youth transitioning out of care, educate peers and industry professionals, and change public perceptions about foster youth across the nation at conferences and events.
Getting to share my story with other youth that were in foster care, getting to relate with other foster youth that were advocates and activists like I was or that were starting their advocacy was amazing and felt like I wasn't alone.
— Reannon Matulewich, 2022 AllStar
Who is Eligible?
In order to apply, applicants must:
- Have first-hand experience in the child welfare system/foster care
- Be between the ages of 18 and 24 during program dates
- Have the ability to obtain high-speed internet (telecom stipends are offered to AllStars to ensure adequate bandwidth is possible), assistance with other access needs can be arranged if needed
- Be able to actively focus and engage online with the cohort for six hours daily during virtual weeks (from 10am PT | 11am MT | 12pm CT | 1pm ET until 4pm PT | 5pm MT | 6pm CT | 7pm ET).
- Travel for training and service in Oregon the last two weeks of July.
What are the Benefits?
- A weekly living allowance ($500/wk during virtual weeks and $250/wk during in-person)
- Internship Completion Honorarium ($1,000)
- Telecom stipend ($60)
- Total Support = $3560 for six weeks
- Extensive practical leadership training, mentoring, advocacy, event and facilitation experience, and networking opportunities!
- A community of belonging, inspiration and support.
When Does This Happen?
2024 Session Dates are June 24 - August 2
2024 Travel dates to Oregon are July 14-27
Week 1: Welcome Week (Virtual)
Week 2: Learning FosterClub’s Way (Virtual)
Week 3: Creating an Impact through System Change (Virtual)
Week 4: Activating our SPARK (In Person In Oregon)
Week 5: Supporting Youth in Care (In Person In Oregon)
Week 6: A Good Goodbye (Virtual)
Throughout the year, AllStars are connected with other service and engagement opportunities Nationally and encouraged to connect within their state.