This week, the Council partnered with the Center on Immigration and Child Welfare (CICW) to host a webinar about best practices for supporting immigrant youth in foster care!
We drew from our 3 priority statements from Supporting Immigrant Youth & Children in Foster Care, and heard from the CICW about common barriers faced in supporting immigrant youth in foster care and best practices that can be implemented to overcome them. You can view our powerpoint presentation here, and stay tuned for the webinar recording! You can also check out the data report that informed our priority here.
The CICW shared so many fantastic resources for practitioners working with immigrant youth in foster care:
- A Pathway to Permanency: Collaborating for the Futures of Children who are Immigrants in the Child Welfare System
- Fact Sheet for Child Welfare & Guardianship Stakeholders: ICE Policies and Standards Related to Detained Parents & Legal Guardians
- Immigrant Caregivers: The Implications of Immigration Status on Foster Care Licensure
- Immigrant Families & Child Welfare Systems: Emerging Needs & Promising Policies
- Protecting Assets & Child Custody in the Face of Deportation: A Guide for Practitioners Assisting Immigrant Families
- Reporting Trafficking Concerns to OTIP and/or send questions to [email protected]
- SIJS (Special Immigrant Juvenile Status): What are the laws in my state?
- Strengthening Child Welfare Practice for Immigrant Children & Families: A Toolkit for Child Welfare Professionals in California
- The ICE Parental Interests Directive: How Child Welfare Agencies Can Advocate with ICE to Ensure Fair Treatment of Detained or Deported Parents
- The New Mexico Children, Youth & Families Department Immigration Unit: A Model for Child Welfare & Juvenile Justice Systems Serving Immigrant Children and Their Families
- To find immigration attorneys, here are a few helpful links:
Find all of these resources and more on this curated list of Key Immigration & Child Welfare Resources.
Want to keep learning?
- Join the CICW’s Immigration and Child Welfare Practice Network and sign up for their monthly e-newsletter!
- Keep up to date with the Council by joining our mailing list!
The National Foster Care Youth & Alumni Policy Council, a partnership project administered by FosterClub and Foster Care Alumni of America with support from Casey Family Programs, convenes to provide federal stakeholders with relevant and timely information as policies and procedures are created that will affect children and families throughout the country. The Council represents a collective viewpoint of youth and alumni who have experienced the child welfare system first-hand.
The Center on Immigration and Child Welfare aims to improve programs and policies related to immigrant children and families involved in the public child welfare system. Their work includes original research, resource development and dissemination, training and technical assistance, and national leadership, including sponsoring cross-sector conferences, workgroups, and advocacy.